Lately, with Ben deep in study for his final CFA exam, and with it being oh so chilly outside, I have found myself pottering around the house in my super high-waisted woolen tights, enjoying domestic delights.
I have developed a nice little routine, all rather nurturing and comforting. I’m sure I’ll like to mix things up soon, but for now I am very happy, blissfully spending my weekends…
* Waking early and walking up to the shops with Ben to buy fresh bread, the newspapers and lattes. It’s such a lovely start to our day. Walking briskly in the biting morning air, it only takes us 7 minutes to reach the shops. And we’ve found a great little coffee spot for a take-away cup of smooth deliciousness. I don’t buy coffee during the week, as I don’t like to become dependant on the caffeine, and it’s also a good way to save money. Instead I’ll have a black tea with my breakfast and then drink herbal tea throughout the day. Rooibos is a current favourite. But I do always look forward to the weekend, when I treat myself to a quality cup of coffee. I also like to pick up Autumn leaves from the ground as we walk.
* Spending time making a lovely Breakfast, such as…
Dark Rye French Toast. I used my regular French Toast recipe but omitted the blueberries, and served it with Greek Yoghurt.
Banana, Buttermilk, Dark Choc Chip Pancakes. I’m still perfecting this recipe…I shall blog it once I’m completely happy with it.
* Creating recipes…
Banana, Raspberry Crumble Muffins – this recipe needs a little work before blogging.
Flaxmeal Crackers – I’m hoping to share the recipe soon!
* Watching movies curled up on the couch with umpteen blankets and cups of tea to stay warm. Although nothing warms me up like an Audrey Hepburn movie. Roman Holiday is possibly my favourite.
* Eating Soup with Fresh Bread – olive bread if I’m lucky…
* Meeting girlfriends for brunch, and falling in love…
* Baking Granola. Most recently this recipe.
* Braving the cold for refreshing walks in the park or a Zumba class.
* Having girlfriends over for dinner, wine and lots of talking. Before dinner, we nibbled on some Heidi Swanson delights – Roasted Chickpeas (recipe link) The chickpeas were too soggy, I used canned chickpeas and it was a bit of a fail.
and Muscovado Sunflower Seeds (recipe link). These were amazing!
For dessert, my friend made delicious Chocolate Ganache Cakes. They’re a Janella Purcell recipe (link here) and they contain tofu! A fabulous, healthy recipe.
* Getting visits from mum and dad. They kindly dropped off my new vintage cabinet! My mum stumbled across this 1950’s gem and snapped it up for me – she knew exactly what I had been searching for, and it cost less than I was hoping to spend too. It is perfect and I am completely and utterly in love. Thanks mum, you’re amazing! It was also lovely to see my parent’s faces – they always make me smile. We haven’t been down in Red Hill much lately, as Ben has been chained to his desk.
* Eating goodies my parents bought! These beautiful Basil and Lime Macarons from Chez Dré were incredible. I am a macaron novice, and I guess mum was keen for me to expand my knowledge already. I am so thankful, as these were just heavenly.
* Snacking on Fresh Figs with Greek Yoghurt and Honey. Is this possible the most delicious snack ever?
* Making Tuna, Chilli and Lemon Pasta for dinner (recipe link).
and possibly my favourite recent habit of all…
* Researching San Francisco Eats whilst curled up on the couch eating a muffin and drinking tea (I leave in two months for a three week USA trip)… muffins and tea are always involved. It’s mandatory.
All in all, life has been pretty fabulous of late… this crisp Autumn weather is agreeing with me. Give me weekends like this for the rest of my life and I shall be very happy indeed.