Sometimes it’s the simple, throw together meals that are the most special. A little sunshine and a picnic rug can be the ingredients that take a meal from a last minute afterthought to something surprisingly perfect.
The recipes below may be incredibly basic, but you know what? They are also incredibly wonderful. So I decided to share them with you. If for no other reason than to inspire you to dust off your picnic rug, assemble some simple, beautiful ingredients and enjoy a Springtime sunny meal outside.
The following two recipes are best enjoyed alongside a Strawberry and Raspberry Fruit Salad, the Sunday Papers and, if you’re very lucky like me, a loved one. Please excuse the recent gushy posts. I guess I’m all loved-up due to Wedding Planning. Only 5 months to go. I promise I wont let it get too out of hand. He’s just rather great, that’s all…
Raspberry and Watermelon Juice
3 big scoops Watermelon (which is probably just over 2 cups)
1 cup Frozen Raspberries
1. Purchase watermelon and frozen raspberries
2. Put them in your blender
3. Blend until juicy
6. Smile in delight
Bagels with Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon
2 Fresh Bagels (I bought my plain from Huff Bagelry on Koornang Road. Finding a good bagel shop will make all the difference!)
100g Smoked Salmon
2-3 tablespoons Light Spreadable Philadelphia Cream Cheese (depending on how thick you like your spread)
* tomato, cucumbers, dill, capers and red onion would be lovely toppings also.
1. Halve bagels and toast them under the grill to crisp them up a little (only 1-2 minutes on each side)
2. Spread the bagel halves with cream cheese
3. Top with smoked salmon
4. Eat outside on your picnic rug with your Raspberry and Watermelon Juice