Just a couple of crazy kids chilling out, drinking Campari and gin, throwing frisbee on the beach and dancing to 80s tunes whilst frying padrón peppers. We didn’t even make it to midnight. It was awesome.
Come morning we woke early for a jog along the beach. And then, as it began to rain, we dove in for a salty swim. It was magical. I could not think of a better way to bring in the new year.
Back home I made us a mango lassi before gathering with family for brunch and homemade raspberry ice-cream. I’m already in love with 2014…
Mango Lassi. Serves 2. 1 ripe mango, 1 & 3/4 cup milk, 2 heaped tablespoons vanilla yoghurt (I used Jalna), 1 handful ice. Blend until smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Homemade Raspberry Ice Cream. It tastes the way pink should (recipe link).
In the spirit of 2014 and all the promise a new year holds, here’s 14 random things I am grateful for. Because I am terribly grateful.
1. The fact that my niece and nephew (who have been visiting from Hong Kong) have been showing me so much love with very little if any bribery. Let’s hope this lasts. I suppose it will, as long as I can keep giving piggy back rides…oh, boy.
3. The sound of 6am.
4. My growing love for Campari.
5. Fresh peas. Since getting our vegetables from Transition Farm, I have come to appreciate their delicate brilliance more than ever.
7. The new shampoo I’ve been buying. It’s cheap, organic and it makes my head smell like a coconut. So much good!
8. The fact that I’m off to Tasmania again on Sunday. With Ben. For a week! It’s a work and play trip. I cannot wait.
9. Boiled eggs in salads. Just plain good.
10. Being able to work at the same office as my mum and dad. I love seeing their pretty faces between clients and forcing them to sample the food I’ve made. I so respect their kitchen feedback.
11. Freshly ground coffee beans. Both the smell and taste, equally.
12. Watching Ben learn how to manage his growing hair. He asks me questions about conditioner, hair pins and brushes and I try to take it all very seriously and only reply in a slightly jesting tone.
13. Downton Abbey discussions with my nana. Bring on the next season and more scandal. Will Edith find love again? Time will tell…
14. Having a space to write 14 random thoughts of thanks. Yes, I’m truly thankful for this blog, for the greetings and inspiration, connections and creativity it’s encouraged…
I’m looking forward to making 2014 just as swell. Bye 2013, hello 2014.